|Manufacturer||Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
Waklert is essentially a generic stimulant drug (can treat sleepiness from narcolepsy, sleep apnea, or night shift work)
An active ingredient Armodafinil that is generally prescribed for treating the following:
- Excessive sleepiness due to obstructive sleep apnea (OSA)
- Work shift disorder
- Fatigue due to menopause
- Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- Depression-related to bipolar disorder
How to use Waklert?
Waklert must be consumed as a tablet, with the duration as prescribed by the doctor. It is not to be taken for longer. Waklert is to be swallowed whole and not be chewed, crushed, or broken for consumption. The standard dosage of Waklert is 150 mg.
How does this medication work?
Waklert works as a stimulant for the central nervous system (CNS). It additionally alters the amount of certain chemical messengers involved in the sleep mechanism. Waklert contains Armodafinil, which acts as a wakefulness-promoting agent in the body.
The drug stimulates the brain for improving mental and physical functioning of the body, thereby reducing the lack of concentration.
What are the side effects of Waklert?
These side-effects are temporary. However, if they get worse, one must consult the doctor.
What are some disease interactions of Waklert?
Patients who experience the following health issues must not consume Waklert:
- Heart problems like a mitral valve, enlarged heart, chest pain, irregular or increased heartbeat, and heart attack
- Mood swings, depression, psychosis, or mania
- Kidney problems
- Family or personal history of substance abuse
- Liver issues
For the shift work disorder (SWD), the recommended dosage for Waklert 150 mg is to be taken daily an hour before starting a work shift. While, in case of OSA or narcolepsy, a tablet must be orally consumed for 150 mg or 250 mg once a day, in the morning. This is a general recommended dosage to be taken with or without food. This tablet is to be taken simultaneously every day to maintain its consistent level in the blood. One must strictly follow the prescription given by the doctor!
- In case of hypersensitivity, one must avoid consuming Waklert!
- Obesity can lead to an increase in sleep apnea, and thus, problems with ineffective drug treatment.
- This tablet must be stored under 20-25 degrees C temperature, in an airtight condition.
- Always keep a daily check on blood pressure while taking up this drug.
- A person with severe hepatic impairment must not be prescribed with Waklert dosage in any way!
- Excess dosage must be avoided and not be consumed by children.
- One must not perform any tasks that need focus and alert full mind like operating machinery, driving, dealing with fire, etc.
- One must avoid heavy and late meals before going to bed while being on Waklert dosage.
- This drug must not be consumed in case of holding off sleep.
How long does it take for Waklert to take effect?
The time for this medicine to show its effect is not clinically mentioned, but it could generally be assumed as 2 hours for a normal dosage.
What foodstuffs must be consumed while being on a Waklert dosage?
It is highly recommended to eat fresh and natural foods and avoid high sodium processed diet. Smoking and drinking alcohol must too be prohibited. Keeping besides humidifiers and some essential oils, like eucalyptus and lavender oils, while sleeping can reduce disturbances during sleep and improve sleep quality.
Does this medicine hinder the effect of contraceptive drugs in the body?
While consuming Waklert tablets, hormonal contraceptive medications won’t work properly. There can be a possible condition of unwanted pregnancy. Even after stopping the consumption of this medicine for over a month, contraception won’t work. It is advised to go for alternative birth control means, which help while being on Waklert dosage.
- High blood pressure
- Caffeine intake
- Any substance abuse
- Direct or indirect consumption of alcohol
The former history of heart diseases
Overlooking these points and consuming Waklert regularly might lead to a condition of overdosage and thus might lead to serious complications.
Can pregnant and breastfeeding women intake Waklert?
Women who are pregnant must avoid Waklert consumption. However, if the physician prescribes it, one must double verify it with the gynecologist. Breastfeeding women are strictly prohibited from consuming Waklert and similar drugs.
What happens on missing a dose or stopping the dosage?
In case the withdrawal symptoms become too severe, get a consultation from the doctor.
Is it a narcotic drug?
Yes, Waklert is considered a habit-forming drug. Thus, it cannot be suddenly stopped for consumption.
How long do the effects of Waklert last?
Waklert contains Armodafinil as its active ingredient. In general cases, Armodafinil lasts up to 15 hours. This is the reason for it to be consumed only once!
Are there any drug interactions with Waklert?
It is not safe for anyone to take Waklert with medicines containing Armodafinil. This might cause overdosage. Additionally, this might lead to some complications if taken up with any herbal medicines and food supplements. Some severe drug interactions of the Waklert drug include the following:
- Ombitasvir/ Paritaprevir/ Ritonavir
- Selegiline transdermal
There are about 35 different medicines that show serious interactions, 287 ones with moderate interactions, and 159 drugs which show mild interactions with Waklert medicine. Thus, it is highly recommended to disclose every ongoing or past medicine that one consumes and about the diseases and disorders to the doctor before he prescribes Waklert.